Saturday 5 May 2007

knowing

I remember my favourite English teacher always telling me before we wrote a story, that it was often easier if we wrote about what we knew, even if it was a fictional story it would make it more believable. He told us that many authors did alot of research into the subjects they were writing about to make it easier to form a plot and characters that the readers could relate to.
So why is it then that I've been writing (sort of) for the last few weeks on a subject I obviously know nothing about. I never realised that coming out of a relationship (I had one, so obviously I know that bit) and finding myself,at the age of 35, single and thinking of dating again was such a minefield!

First of all there's actually getting out in the first place.Not as easy as it sounds.
When you've just had a very small social circle of married, settled friends and then find yourself not married (not through choice) not settled and a mum, then your list of available friends to go out with becomes scarily small.

Then there's knowing where to go. Places I would have gone when I was in my early twenties are no longer places I would go now and I also don't want to get stuck in the doing a hobby thing-It's just not me.

Then there's finding someone in that place who you think you would get on with and have some fun, who'd also think the same as you.
I tend to have no particular problem talking to or being approached by men when I go out but my problem is how much do I tell them. The first question is usually 'are you single' to which I always now say 'yes' unless I don't particularly want to talk to them.I am still officially married, but seeing as my ex is now happily residing about 90miles away in his little shag pad and left 10months ago I think this is a fairly truthful statement.

Next it's 'what do you do' to which I answer 'I'm a self employed artist', and if I really like them I'll add 'and a part time artists model' both true, but the second one is always a clincher in the conversation stakes!

So after that it's usually talk about what all this involves (no I don't take all my clothes off) and discussion on what they do, what ages we are blah blah blah,then drinks are bought, maybe numbers exchanged. Very very rarely am I asked if I have children, which surprises me given my age,or if I'm divorced, ditto,but I always make a point of telling anyone I'm interested in going out with that I do have a child and for most it seems to make no difference.
So this is all fine.

Then there's after the night out. The promised phonecall. Luckily for me so far this promised phonecall has always arrived (lucky Geordie boy got there just in time as his number was about to be deleted!) and this is where I seem to be going wrong, as in the cold light of day and with clearer heads, the questions are more concise and probing.
Were you married?,How long for?,What did he do?,What did you do?,How old is your child?How often do you get out?, How often does he have access?,Are you a kept woman then?(yes someone did ask me that!)What do you drive??

I answer truthfully to all these questions and I ask as many of my own back,but I can't help thinking that at this stage of the game it's all too much. Why can't we go out in each others company first and get to know the real person inside a little and not just what comes with her. It's almost as if they're thinking ahead and wondering if any of my responsibilities will come down around their heads instead of thinking of them as just that, MY responsibilities.

I'm 35 not 65,and I'm young at heart,I've just come out of a heartbreaking end to what I thought would be my marriage for life,I still want to have fun, I still want to have a drink if I want one,I still want to dance like no one's watching, I still want to laugh till my sides ache,I still want the romantic walks in the country, I still want to sit by an open fire on a frosty winters day and drink steaming mugs of real hot chocolate,I don't want to look like a 35 year old woman trying to pass herself off as 20,but I want all this in my own time.

For now I just want to go out have some fun, maybe meet someone I like and get to know them,it's not a big request. I don't want to be cut down in that first instance because of what my life has in it,because somewhere in there amongst all the things is me.

18 comments:

Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Girl said...

I have the marrieds as friends and it seriously cramps my social life, at least in the evenings.
It seems harder to meet people, either sex, when you are older and then there is the pressure you speak of. Why can't it just be fun and possibilty instead of lets exchange names and decisde what the future might look like right this instant.
(sorry, spelling mistake..heh)

phoenix said...

exactly, everyone's looking for something instead of just letting things happen naturally. Just remember and have some fun on the way,we're not dead yet after all!

Cat said...

I can identify with this - I now see my married friends, especially those with children, for lunch rather than nights out. The ones with kids generally want to spend weekends doing family stuff, and are in bed by 10pm, up at 6am!

phoenix said...

My daughter's now of the age that I'm starting to get a bit of grown up life back as she can get up in the morning without waking me up,(certainly not at 6 eek) and bed by 10! very rarely! once I've caught up with stuff after work, got her sorted for bed,I'm maybe just sitting down at 10.

Eddy said...

I'm sure you'll find your feet soon enough, and have a great time as a gorgeous single girl.

phoenix said...

why thank you kind sir and how would you know if I was gorgeous?
;-)

SpanishGoth said...

Well I know you're gorgeous so there-f*cking-there :-)

SpanishGoth said...

Seriously, it's never easy to come out of a long-term relationship. Life as you have known it changes and the whole earth shifts. I wish I could offer some sage-like advice but all I can say is - be yourself, if guys think you're not good enough, they're not good enough for you.

Hang in there chicken - you're worth the wait

phoenix said...

thanks Goth, I believe that is suitably sage advice and I am slowly starting to believe in my own worth again.I am not putting up with shoddy treatment,and that includes the simple courtesy of calling when they say they will. No call,no me hehe. x

SpanishGoth said...

People can never know how hard a feeling rejection is, until they have experienced it in their heart. I have never spoken about how deeply it cut through my heart like a knife through butter.

Every persons 'anguish' (and yes that is the word) is someone else's glee, it makes one take a further step toward the light of happiness.

general_boy said...

I really can't imagine being in that situation... let alone dealing with all the expectations, false starts, etcetera, etcetera.

My two cents? You don't meet that person at places people go to meet that person.

Hang in there. ;)

phoenix said...

Goth-Anguish is the word!you know from my previous, very open blog, of the heartache and also the efforts I made to no avail.It's taken me this long to even think about male company again,but I'm definitely not ready for a relationship and all it entails.The small steps to happiness are tentative ones but I'll get there. If I can get through what my ex did to me I can get through anything now:-)
General Boy-nice to see you again.I'll eventually get off the starters block.And not ready for 'that' kind of relationship yet.Taken me 10months just to get out the house:-)

Drama Queen said...

I don't think it’s easy for anyone chick - married, non married, kids, no kids. . .

We are all confused by the 'rules' of dating.

As for not knowing where to go, generally I don't think too many people meet out drinking anyway. Oh, hang about - where did I meet Boyfriend? Er, grr. You know what I mean.

You'll find your rhythm as soon as you stop trying. I promise.

Anyway, your life story is what makes you, you. Don’t hide it. . .

And you know there are a million babysitters in Edinburgh is your ever pick that option.

Drama Queen said...

And you know there are a million babysitters in Edinburgh is your ever pick that option.

Grr

For IS read IF.

phoenix said...

Erm see today's post
*runs and hides*

Scotsman said...

My problem is I never really knew what to look for and I just made the assumption early in life that it would all happen naturally. I thought I would be living my life doing life stuff and one day quite by accident come across this person who saw something in me that I didn't see and vice versa. I didn't expect it to happen right away but to evolve slowly but it hasn't really happened yet, unless I blinked and missed it, which comes to think of it would be just the sort of thing I'd do. Of course it was probably more to do with the fact I wasn't really looking, meanwhile friends have been getting married, having kids, getting divorced, getting married again, ok so they might not be long lasting but I seem to be the village idiot when it comes to understanding the game and yet ironically I seem to be the one they turn to when they need a shoulder to cry on or relationship advice - like I'm an expert!

phoenix said...

well i can safely say I'm definitely no expert! having been in only long term relationships and only having had four boyfriends (I'm including my ex in this)this is all gobbledeygook to me.