Monday 23 April 2007

waiting

Today I am waiting to hear if the very reasonable offer I put in on my first sole owned house will be accepted and to be frank I am kacking myself!
The buying and selling of houses in England is a very scary affair. Unlike Scotland, when you offer on a house down here, even if it is accepted you have no legal contractual rights to that property until the money's in the bank and you have the keys in your sticky little mitts. The same goes for selling. I sold my house 3 weeks ago and contracts have been drawn up and will be exchanged shortly, but even when contracts have been exchanged I could still quite legitimately change my mind and take my house off the market,thus screwing up the moving plans of the people I'd agreed wholeheartedly to sell to, so that contract's really not worth the paper it's written on.
And then there's 'The Chain'.
To those of you who don't already know, this is the sequence of house sales and purchases which lead up to your own sale and purchase, and obviously the fewer people involved in the sequence the better as there is less chance of the whole thing going pear shaped.
Now thanks to the other problem, namely Estate Agents, we were told from the start that the people we were selling to were a pretty good bet because we were told 'there's a small chain so you won't have any problems Mr and Mrs Phoenix'.
Now a small chain usually means two or three other people below you in the chain, maybe four at a push, but to my annoyance this week I found out that there are actually EIGHT other house sales and purchases below ours!! This means that despite all their reassurances, there is a much much much higher chance of someone somewhere down the line either not being able to get a mortgage and pulling out or simply thinking 'don't think we'll bother moving this year dear it's just too much hassle and I can't be bothered getting off my fat arse to do it' thus breaking the chain and house sales collapsing round our ears. Oh how i wish they were sensible and took on the Scottish system of 'don't fuck us about with this or we'll take you to court and take what you agreed you lying basturds!'
So needless to say my stress levels at the moment are through the roof (if I have one), coupled with the fact my estranged husband keeps saying, don't worry I'll get the finances sorted out this week (for the last two weeks!) so if my posts over the next few weeks are erratic it may be because I'm sitting rocking in a corner somewhere with several bald patches and handfuls of hair.

11 comments:

Drama Queen said...

Hold up. You are BUYING in England? What did I miss?

Drama Queen said...

But you know in Scotland we have the offers over system which now stands at about 40% over the asking price so don't go thinking its easy swimming here either. . .

phoenix said...

It's on a trial basis don't panic. I could've rented for a year but thrown money down the pan. Want to see how i get on out of the marital home and if Mr P pulls his weight on the parenting front. Easier doing this way than moving up North uprooting mini me and then discovering I've made big mistake! This way i get to see how I get on and if it's still crap then Scotchland it is.

lolly said...

Yikes, this does not sound like a process I want to get involved in!

but i want my own house dammit....

Oh and cool blog btw, I follows Cats links here...

Sarah said...

What's the point of contracts then? Argh!

Unknown said...

Ooh - g'luck. I HATE moving house, and that's without all the uber-stressful legal hassle...

phoenix said...

saffyre - It's all scary but no choice it's either that or I'm a homeless bag lady, and thanks for visiting this is my second attempt at blogging,I'm getting there even though I'm computer illiterate!

sarah - reckon they're purely to get extra cash out of us by sounding all official!

hannah - after the year I've had this is probably the least stressful part! onwards and upwards

Drama Queen said...

Sooo. Tell your neice everything. . .Did you get it? Is it in the same place as your current?

phoenix said...

i got it! I'll email you the estate agent link as it's on line. Needs some decor but you know me, love a doer upper and this time i'll be able to do exactly what i'd like without haven to check with anyone else! yippee free reign

Drama Queen said...

Did P really have much influence on that house? Really, be honest. . .I think it was pretty much free reign on your part anyway. . .non?

phoenix said...

he had a lot of influence cos if he didn't like something it never got bought,or if he thought it was unnecessary.I always lokked at things with the thought in my head 'would P like it?', so more influence than you maybe think. Now If I like something the only person I have to think about is me.