Thursday 19 April 2007

switch off

Was going to carry on my post from yesterday about my date but i had such a rubbish sleep last night I'm having problems staying awake and don't want to forget the details.

This is an ongoing problem for me, as when anything either slightly exciting (i'm definitely not used to a lot of that!) or more often than not something remotely stressful happens, I know I'm in for a sleepless night. My brain seems to go into overdrive and completely untrue scenarios begin playing in my head, like a loop tape that just wont switch off. Now don't get me wrong this can be quite enjoyable if there's imaginings of a romantic nature and I'm happy to let them play for a while before wanting to roll over and sleep it off, but the stressful ones are a completely different story.

I tried everything to shut off the reel but the more I try the worse it gets to the point I can get myself into a virtual state of panic about all the things that could happen. Is this just me? I also find that when I do eventually fall asleep that the dreams take over and I tend to wake up very early and try as I might my brain has been switched back on and point blank refuses to switch off. I am trying music at the moment and started off with some nice slow background stuff but found myself listening to the lyrics, again not switching off, and then I found this cd called sleep.It's the kind of music that you hear in a beauty salon when you go for a facial (I've only ever been for one and hated it but the music was nice!) and is like very gentle percussion with a couple of whales thrown in. I must say so far it's working quite well-not quite sure how they got the whales to perform like that but they're very talented! Working well in the way that it can actually get me to sleep initially but it's when I inevetably wake up again that I just cant switch off. I know a lot of this is to do with stress but I actually feel quite good at the moment and think it has more to do with the past year of upsetting circumstances that has now conditioned my body into this state of unease.

Your task is now to fire as many suggestions to me that I haven't already tried to shut my brain off (and before anybody suggests it I don't own a gun)

ps does anyone know how to change the time at the bottom of my posts because anyone saying no wonder you cant sleep posting at that time it's because the time's wrong!

13 comments:

Girl said...

I usually just get up and watch TV, like an infomercial, or read for a bit. It helps if I change my surroundings instead of just lyig there frustrated.

As to the time code...when you are on the post page at the botom left corner of the frame is a clicky link for post options. Click it and it will open to where you can change the time.

Girl said...

Or do you mean in general....if so that is under the settings on the comments tab.

phoenix said...

thanks for both tips, and think maybe i'm just frustrated in general ;-)

SpanishGoth said...

holy shit girl - you've been rambling.

Nipped in to say hello and now I'm going to have to surreptitiously read and pretend to work.....

Nice to have you back though..

*Gothic hugs*

phoenix said...

huggin you right back and very nice it is to be back under the cloak x

Drama Queen said...

Never had any problems sleeping, as you know.

In fact the more I have on my mind the more I sleep, its like my body just shuts right down with stress.

I'd say exercise, so that you are so tired you have to sleep but that won't work with mini-you.

Guess its down to weed then. . .

phoenix said...

I've started doing a lot more cycling and am hoping that's going to help,reckon at least an hour a day should do it! If not, weed it is :-)

Eddy said...

I'm agreeing with the exercise suggestion. Knacker the body and the mind can't resist. Feels good too, to sleep the sleep of the truly knackered.

Eddy said...

Oh, maybe you've not selected the right time zone and that is why your clock is out?

phoenix said...

clock's sorted now i think and went out for a good couple of hours on the bike yesterday and slept better than i have in a while. thanks x

pink jellybaby said...

i'm exactly the same. it's like a snowball effect where i start to think about something and then it escalates into some full on drama and i panic about it.

i've not found a solution yet!

Dan said...

i could probably help you figure out the clock thing, but as you say, "in one ear, out the other."

phoenix said...

Actually managed to work it out. even shocked myself!