Tuesday 24 April 2007

I'm trying

Tonight, in my effort to integrate with the rest of humankind after the world of coupledom, I went to .....*drum roll.........*................. A salsa class!!!

I have to say that, apart from now having very sore legs (dancing on the balls of your feet is good exercise!)and a disturbing vision going round in my head of the rather large man who was dancing in front of me wiggling his behind, I actually quite enjoyed myself.
I have never ever been to any dance class before ,apart from the torturous country dance lessons they make you take at school, and definitely not one where close contact is expected.So I was very nervous and not quite sure how many lecherous men there would be-there were 2-and surprise surprise I got to dance with them first!But once I'd very pointedly told them not to squeeze that part of their body anywhere near me they got the message.I think the Scottish accent in a firm tone can be quite scary.
The way the class works is you learn a couple of moves at a time all standing in a circle and once completed you change partners (hence probably why I got creeps first,think they saw the newbie and thought 'we'll have fun here with this one'!)So you get a chance to dance with everyone in the room. I suppose it's like speed dating to music, if that's what you're going for. Thankfully most of them were there to dance and escape another episode of Inspector Morse, and like me just to converse with other members of the species.(of course if there had been any hot guys there that last line would have read,' and like me to meet a potential date', but there weren't so I'll say it was for company)
Nevertheless it was nice to be able to get out of the house for a few hours, see some new faces, chat to someone other than the cat and feel like I could actually, if I have the opportunity(ex had mini me) maybe begin to have the essence of a social life.
Maybe next time I go Mr Wonderful dating potential will be there too...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a v pragmatic plan to me. You're meant to be able to tell a lot about people from the way they dance (of course, I don't subscribe to the theory wholeheartedly: I'm a horrible dancer, but much, MUCH better at the thing it's supposed to represent...)

Glad you had fun!

phoenix said...

I had no problem with the hip movements more where my feet were meant to be heehee but I'm sure the instructor made it sound so much more difficult than it needed to be (he was very nice though, it was his last week so there was no working my charm on him-he was definitely straight as well,shame:-)

Drama Queen said...

Remember. . .it happens when you stop trying so hard. Just like it did with Mr Millionaire. Just go out and have fun and don't expect the other, then its ALWAYS a bonus. . .

Love Oooo!

Shameless said...

I once went to Salsa class to meet hot men, unfortunately I got stuck in a class with a bunch on old, unrythmic, unattractive men.. You win some you lose some.

I did make a really good friend though :)

Hopefully you'll have more luck than me :)

SpanishGoth said...

Awwwww You could have gone to break-dancing class. All that spinning on your head stuff - very envigorating I would expect.

Of course, I couldn't participate as it would mess my hair up :p

phoenix said...

DQ-did just go cos I needed to go out, if there was any nice guys was going to treat it as a bonus.

Shameless-Gonna stick at it anyway,exercise will do me good

Goth-precisely the reason why I didn't go to the breakdancing one,my long flowing red locks would not take kindly to that kind of abuse!

lolly said...

Ohhh, i wanna go salsa dancing!!
Oh wait, I just wanna meet hot men.