Thursday 14 June 2007

Developments

Remember the cold New guy gave me a couple of weeks ago well it kinda got worse. I now have a glorious chest infection which has aggravated my asthma and am now the proud owner of Antibiotics,steroids and anti-asthma tablets. Bleurgh!! I thought I was getting better but then woke up on Monday morning after spending most of the night coughing, feeling like I'd been hit by a train. For those of you who don't have it (and it is a fairly recent thing for me due to a later in life food allergy) asthma just totally wears you out. If you don't have a wheeze then it's a constant dry cough which worsens during the night,your lung capacity is severely curtailed and due to the lack of oxygen you just feel constantly tired.
So I made the required appointment to see the emergency nurse,who then referred me to the emergency doctor,who then prescribed me a cocktail of drugs to clear up my rubbish chest infection.
I trot (well a very slow trot)down to the chemist and pick up all my concoctions then head home to start the game of 'see how much you can rattle when you walk'.I read the labels and start my course of 'make me better you sods' and i make the mistake of deciding to read the information leaflets. Now any of you about to take anything to cure an ailment I warn you DO NOT READ THAT LEAFLET.
Here are some of the side effects listed (bear in mind I have aspirin sensitive asthma,related to salicylate in food,but have to take small doses of Aspirin daily to desensitise me)
:Do Not take these tablets if you
Have ever had an allergic reaction to these tablets or any of the ingredients in the tablets.Ponceau4R and sunset yellow are azo dyes which can cause allergic reactions including asthma.These reactions are more common in people allergic to Aspirin.Therefore check with your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
*Blah de blah large lists of drugs* INCLUDING- aspirin and salicylates!
Allergic symptoms include:puffy face,swollen tongue,swollen body,severe shortness of breath,swelling,shock and collapse.If you develop any of these symptoms stop taking the medicine and contact your doctor immediately *(I'm assuming you can manage to do this before you go into shock and collapse on the floor,although no time limits are given,how inconsiderate!)
Other symptoms include,muscle cramps,weakness,nausea,pain in back,hips,ribs,arms,shoulders or legs *(would have been easier writing your whole body will ache like f**k!)unusual bruising,acne,rapid weight gain,pancreatitis, oh and tell your doctor immediately if you get very severe abdominal pains...........and the list goes on
I'm sorry but am I missing something here?? I WANT TO GET BETTER
next time I get anything from the doc,that leaflet's staying firmly inside the box.

7 comments:

Drama Queen said...

Apparantly there is a chance my pill could kill me by creating a huge blood clot. I prefer to stay in denial about that.
Get yee well soon.

Girl said...

Sometimes the cure seems almost worse than the sickness.

I hope he's paying you back with lots of massages or the like.

Unknown said...

Oh, honey! natural honey is, apparently good for asthma. It was on telly this morning. Get better soon, then you can come for a walk! lol.

phoenix said...

DQ-yep that's a good reason for the leaflet stayin in the box! ignorance is bliss
Just a girl- paying me back bigtime.just booked 2 weekends away for recouperation
John-would love that but unfortunately Honey is not allowed in my strict regime as it is very high in salicylate which is what causes my allergy related asthma.Bummer!!

general_boy said...

shock and collapse.If you develop any of these symptoms stop taking the medicine

Hmmm... this one usually takes care of itself LOL

Wow that sux... hope the drugs are helping!

SpanishGoth said...

I could massage your chest and then you would feel all better *thinks* oh, that would be me feeling better.

Might be nice though ;-)

phoenix said...

general boy-the drugs are helping and thankfully the steroids finish today as I did get the rapid weight gain side effect yuk! 10lbs in 7 days! my bike's a beckoning
Goth- Naughty ;-)