Sunday 16 December 2007

Christmas is coming and.......

I am wanting to get fat!!! please put some curry in this young at heart girls hat!!

Well maybe not in my hat, but on a plate with a naan bread would be perfectly acceptable. For those of you who don't know, for the last couple of years I have not only been going through a particularly traumatic marriage break up but also I was diagnosed with an allergy to salicylate. In laymans terms it's an allergy to the same substance that aspirin is a derivative of but which encompases all the foods that contain this natural insectiside found in most plants,fruits and vegetables.
The main reaction to this allergy is asthma.
The good news is that new research being conducted (of which I am a guinea pig!) has shown that by cutting out foods in the diet containing salicylates and introducing tiny controlled doses of a specific type of aspririn, that gradually you can detox your body and then reintroduce those foods back into the diet. Good news for me is ......... my reintroduction time has come!!
I am allowed.... after several tests at hospital in London on Wednesday....to GRADUALLY try bringing some of those foods back ino my diet.
I know you may not think this is a big deal, but just for a second think of how many things contain derivatives of plants, fruit and veg as well as the obvious fruits and veg you can buy as whole entities.
The things I've missed the most are things like tea (one of the highest on my list of no no's due to the dried tea leaves),curry (herbs and spices are extremely high in salicylate),italian food (tomatoes and herbs)fruit juice,peanut butter (Yes I love it on toast) and the luxury of just being able to eat a piece of the carrot I'm chopping for my daughter's dinner!
The only plus point of this condition is that I've had the figure of an 18year old for the past year but only due to an extremely restrictive boring,bland diet. So, where do I start?
I have to still be cautious,the doctors are still learning about this condition and I cannot risk overloading my system after my dedication of the last 18months, but I can't wait to at long last be able to enjoy my food once more and have a little bit of flavour back in my life (imagine soup without stock) So bring on the cranberry sauce and merry Christmas to you all xx

9 comments:

Girl said...

A life without peanut butter? That is so sad. I eat it almost every day.

So did you have to take supplements and stuff to get some of the nutrients you missed out on with you crazy diet?

phoenix said...

unfortunately not because most are derived from vegetable or fruit sources. I could eat dairy,meat and pulses so most of my nutrients could be gotten in one way or another. Kind of like the atkins diet I suppose but extremely bland due to no spices or herbs.

Unknown said...

You're still here!! I am wanting to leap up and down, but I know I shall fall over. Sshit!!

Elaine Greywalker said...

Thanks for reiterating what you can eat. I wondered. Knocking out all that stuff doesn't leave much. Still, good to know what it takes to be 18 again.

Congratulations on making it through the detox year and good luck with the reintroduction of the rest of the food groups.

I hope you and your new family have a happy christmas.

phoenix said...

John- yep, but less frequently at the moment because of work, boyfriend,etc thankfully i have less stress so less to write about! Not cutting it out completely but I don't have as much of an urge to blog anymore. Still hanging in there though so don't abandon me yet. x
Elaine- thanks and you too. People know little about aspirin sensitivity so thought I'd fill you in on some. It's thought that banishing the fruit and veg is easy until you realise that almost everything contains a derivative in some form or another.

SpanishGoth said...

I made a curry - you can have some if you want.

I also have the entire stash of mulled wine from my fave hostelry but as for the peanut butter - you'll have to bring your own.

I am intrigued about the 'body of an 18 year old' - please send pictures ;-)

Happy Christmas honey.

general_boy said...

Hooray for Xmas curry Phoenix!! Best of luck to you and mini-you in 2008. :) xx

Melissa said...

My hat is off to you. A year without aspirin? I don't think I would have made it.

Glad to hear you are able to expand your diet (and waistband) in time for Christmas!

phoenix said...

Goth-Photo's are for BF's eyes only he he but who knows,one day you may see me on canvas in a gallery somewhere from my wee stint as an artists muse!
GB- think I'm one of the few to be looking forward to Christmas turkey leftovers. Happy christmas and a very merry New Year.x
Melissa-Thanks the weights creeping on already.I definitely feel more human and less like a bag of bones.