Tuesday 9 October 2007

Junk

Right, as you know I am in the process of moving house (hence the somewhat intermittent posting)and I have decided that, after discovering I am not alone,I am going to come out of the closet..............................No not that closet!.........in fact it's not really a closet, it's a drawer!

I've never admitted this to anyone.I give the appearance of being a reasonably tidy person. I don't have ornaments (they gather dust and are pointless unless made by my daughter),I file my bank statements, and I always make my bed when I get up in the morning but i have a secret drawer of......................complete and utterly useless bits of crap. There I've said it. Now are there steps to follow to gain enlightenment and release myself from this millstone?

In my drawer of crap there were- Birthday candles in various states of uselessness,picture hooks,keyrings x 2,several wine bottle corks, screws of varying size, takeaway menu's from about 6 years ago,3 erasers,2 books of matches,1 broken wine bottle pourer,1 vodka shot pourer (I see a pattern here hmmmm)3 pens (none of which worked),2 decks of cards (1unopened), countless receipts for nothing of any relevance and several of them were older than 2years,several hotel sewing kits (I don't sew)an OPEN box of drawing pins (which I discovered when I put my hand to the back of the drawer) and several bent drinking straws which were no use to man nor beast.
Do you have a drawer like this at home? And if you do I can tell you the best way to deal with it.
Take one large black bin liner.
Open said bin liner.
Take the drawer off it's runners.
Hold the drawer and the bin liner to each other.
TIP THE CRAP IN THE BIN

The next step is THE most important part.

Take the now full bin,tie it's handle and take it outside to the garbage immediately!Do not look inside the bag and never ever be tempted to retrieve any of those lifesaving things that you've depended on for as long as you can remember.

What's in your crap drawer?

ps I confess I kept the vodka shot pourer,but hey sometimes going cold turkey getting rid of the crap means you need a drink to recover!

8 comments:

Girl said...

I have a junk box. It used to be two but I go through it every so often and get rid of stuff that just doesn't get used. I do actually use stuff from it so cannot bring myself to just dump it all.

phoenix said...

well I think I may describe your junk box as a bits-n-bobs box JG as you do actually use some of it.Most of the things in mine were put in there as I just threw them in meaning to sort them out later. They never saw the light of day again or else I forgot about them.I figured if I hadn't needed them in the last year then I could survive without them.new start,out with the old and all that:-)

Unknown said...

Hee, hee, I have several drawers full of crap. Must get Dad to do the washing this week !

Drama Queen said...

You have only ONE junk drawer??

C'mon I lived with you for 2 years. . .


(*ducks before she gets slapped*)

phoenix said...

John- LOL
DQ - Cheeky;-) and also brave considering i'm visiting you in a couple of weeks,start running young lady!!
ps I now have NO drawer(s) of crap as they've been assigned to the skip.

general_boy said...

Ha! You have just ONE crap drawer??? Why I have about NINE of them!!!! My work desk has 7 drawers, and I'd hazard a guess that I could probably condense all the *non useless* stuff into one of them!

Then there's the two in the kitchen... uugghh... don't get me started LOL

phoenix said...

GB-LOL I maybe was a little conservative with the truth when i said one crap drawer,I used the term loosely hee hee.But what a great feeling it was getting rid of it and if you have the time I'd highly recommend it. Apart from anyhing it makes things so much easier to find!

Melissa said...

Sage advice.

I have two drawers - one in the kitchen and one in the dining room. I never need anything from either.

Feels liberating to tip the crap into the garbage bag, doesn't it?